Ride-alongs are defined as opportunities for individuals to come to a station and ride with crews on fire apparatus for a designated time period. The ride-along timeframe will be 7 am to 7 pm and is at the discretion of the station officer to allow for more time. Ride-alongs will not be scheduled on “line-observed” holidays unless approved by the station officer. Ride-alongs are observation only, riders are not to take part in emergency operations.
Requests for a ride-along shall originate through SMFR’s homepage a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the requested date and are subject to the following requirements:
- The individual is enrolled in a high-school trade program, or fire-science program and/or is involved with the Arapahoe Rescue Patrol or Explorer Program or
- The individual is a minimum of 18 years old unless active in one of the above-listed programs and
- The individual cannot be in a current SMFR recruitment process
Please note that if you are an active candidate in South Metro’s process for employment, you are not permitted to do a ride-along at this time.
- Riders who meet the above requirements will need to fill out the Online Application Form.
- Please note that only requests made through SMFR’s external website will be processed.
- Once the rider has been approved and meets the initial criteria, they will be notified to complete a criminal background check, which must be done no more than 30 days prior to the selected ride date and must be paid for by the applicant.
- Once the background check has been submitted and approved, the rider must fill out and sign a Hold Harmless Agreement and HIPAA Compliance Agreement.
- Once fully approved, the designated ride-along coordinator will schedule the ride-along.
Please be aware that SMFR does reserve the right to deny any request. If your request is not approved, you will receive a timely notification of the reason.
To participate in a ride-along, riders will be held to the same Conduct Standards as SMFR firefighters. Riders should wear a white or light blue polo, dark blue/black pants (no jeans), sturdy boots or shoes (no open-toed shoes), and bring appropriate outerwear. Riders are limited to one ride per school year.