South Metro Fire Rescue is continuing to monitor the COVID-19 situation and want to assure the community that safety and preventative measures to limit exposure to our personnel and citizens is our top priority.
Because of this, South Metro has determined that we will be postponing all station tours, engine demos and ride longs at this time (until further notice) in an effort to help minimize exposure. We do remain committed to our citizens, however, and will work with them to ensure that we schedule tours, demos, etc. to a later time.
Thank you for your understanding.
Ride-a-longs are defined as opportunities for individuals to come to station and ride with crews on fire apparatus for a designated time period. Ride-a-long time frames will be either 8am-noon or 1pm-5pm. Ride-a-longs are observation only, riders are not to take part in emergency operations. It is at the discretion of the station commander to allow for more time.
Requests for a ride-a-long must meet one or more of the following requirements:
- Rider is enrolled in a high-school trade program, fire-science program and/or are involved with the Arapahoe Rescue Patrol or Explorer Program
- Be a minimum of 18 years old unless rider is in one of the above listed programs
- Live in district (out of district residents will be considered on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the Operations Assistant Chief
- Individual is currently in the fire service
** Please note that if you are an active candidate in South Metro’s process for employment, you are not permitted to do a ride-along at this time.
- Riders who meet the above requests will need to fill out the Online Application Form. Please note that only requests made through SMFR’s external website will be processed.
- Once the rider has been approved and meets the initial criteria, they will be notified to complete a criminal background check, which much be done 30 days prior to the selected ride date and must be payed for by the applicant. Please note that only citizens that are not enrolled in a program or currently in the fire service need to obtain a background check.
- Once background check has been submitted and approved, the rider must fill out and sign a Hold Harmless Agreement and HIPAA Compliance Agreement.
- Once fully approved, the designated ride-a-long coordinator will schedule the ride-a-long. **
**Please be aware that SMFR does reserve the right to deny any request. If your request is not approved, you will receive timely notification of the reason.