District Facts, Information, & Plans
With the recent unification with Cunningham Fire Protection District and Littleton Fire Rescue, South Metro’s coverage area has grown to serving roughly 540,000 residents within approximately 285 square miles beginning Jan. 1, 2019.
Coverage area includes 12 Municipalities: Aurora, Bow Mar, Castle Pines, Centennial, Cherry Hills Village, Columbine Valley, Foxfield, Greenwood Village, Lakewood, Littleton, Lone Tree, Parker. In addition, South Metro covers Centennial Airport, the Denver Tech Center, Inverness, and the Meridian Office Park as well as unincorporated portions of Arapahoe, Jefferson, and Douglas counties
30 fire stations operate 24/7 with three shifts working a rotational basis.
In addition to standard crews of firefighters and paramedics, special teams serve in aircraft firefighting & rescue, hazardous material operations, water rescue and recovery (dive), SWAT Medic, Urban Search & Rescue, technical rescue, Tracked Response (sno-cat) and wildland urban interface firefighting.
Apparatus of the Authority
South Metro maintains many apparatus in our fleet. The below list is what For photos of apparatus, please visit:
- Aerials: Six front-line aerials*
- Aircraft firefighting (ARFF): Three front-line vehicles
- Battalions: Five
- Brush trucks: Twelve front line vehicles
- District Chief: One
- Dive: Two dive boats and one jet ski
- Engines: 22 front-line vehicles
- Hazard materials: Three front-line units
- Heavy rescue: One front-line units
- Medics (ambulances): 19 front-line & 1 ARM Car**
- Mobile Command Post: 1 (shared with City of Greenwood Village)
- Water tenders: Six front-line vehicles
- Tracked Vehicle: One
* "Front-line" are vehicles in daily use.
** An ARM car is an advanced resource medic car and is staffed with a nurse practitioner and an advanced paramedic.